Your Venmo username is your unique identifier on the app. It’s how your friends, family, and contacts know it’s you when sending or requesting money.
But what if you want to change your username? Maybe your old one is outdated or embarrassing. Or perhaps you just want a fresh start on Venmo with a new handle.
The good news is you can change your Venmo username at any time. It’s a simple process whether you use the mobile app or website. This guide will walk you through how to change your Venmo username in a few quick steps.
Why Change Your Venmo Username
Before we get into the step-by-step instructions, here are some common reasons you may want to change your Venmo username:
- Your old username is immature or embarrassing. We all go through phases. Your Venmo name from college may not reflect who you are anymore.
- You want to update your branding. If you use Venmo for business, you may want your username to match your company name or personal brand.
- You changed your name. If you got married or legally changed your name, you’ll probably want your Venmo username to match.
- You just feel like a change. Maybe your old username is getting stale. Choosing a new moniker can be fun and refreshing.
The great news is Venmo makes it incredibly easy to change your username at any time. There are no fees or limits on how often you can do it.
How Often Can You Change Your Venmo Username
You can change your Venmo username as often as you want. There is no limit to how many times you can edit it.
Some users change their names seasonally, like “JennWinters” or “BeachBumSam.” Others switch it up when they get bored of their old handle.
Just keep in mind when you change your username, your Venmo friends will have to search for your new one to find you. The app does not notify contacts when you change your name. More on that later.
Step-By-Step Guide to Change Your Venmo Username
Ready to choose a new username? Here is a simple walkthrough for changing your Venmo name in the mobile app and on the website:
Change Venmo Username on Mobile App
- Open up the Venmo app on your smartphone.
- Tap the profile icon in the top-right corner.
- Tap the “Settings” gear icon.
- Tap “Edit Profile.”
- Tap the username field and delete your old name.
- Type in your new desired username.
- Tap “Done” to save your new name.
It’s that easy to change your Venmo username on mobile. The new name will update instantly across the app.
Also read: What Bank is Venmo on Plaid?
Change Username on Venmo Website
You can also change your Venmo username on the website:
- Go to Venmo.com and log into your account.
- Click your profile icon at the top right and select “Settings.”
- Click “Profile.”
- Edit your username in the designated field.
- Click “Save Changes” at the bottom.
That’s all it takes to change your Venmo username online. Just make sure to save your changes when you’re done editing.
Venmo Username Requirements
Venmo allows usernames between 3-16 characters. You can use letters, numbers, underscores, and hyphens. No other special characters are allowed.
Venmo also prohibits using offensive, hateful, or copyrighted names. Keep your username clean and original.
Once you change your username, it cannot be claimed by another user. Your old name will also become ineligible for reuse by anyone else on Venmo.
Notify Contacts About Your New Venmo Username
One downside to changing your Venmo username is that your friends won’t get notified. Your contacts and transaction history will not automatically update.
To make sure people can still find you, take a few extra steps:
- Let close friends and family know you changed your username. They can search for your new handle and re-friend you.
- Update your username on your other social media profiles to help contacts make the connection.
- Check any pending transactions and update them with your new Venmo name if needed.
Taking the time to notify people ensures minimal disruption from your shiny new username.
Also read: Fix: Venmo Won’t Let Me Add My Debit Card
Change Venmo Username for Business Account
If you have a Venmo business profile, the process for changing your username is the same:
- Log into your Venmo business account.
- Tap the profile icon and select “Settings.”
- Tap “Edit Business Profile.”
- Edit the username and tap “Save.”
Your business username will then change across your Venmo business profile and transactions. Make sure to let clients and customers know about the update.
FAQs About Changing Venmo Usernames
Ready to modify your Venmo username? Here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
Can I use my real name as my Venmo username?
Yes, you can use your real first and last name if you want. But for privacy reasons, most people pick fun, creative usernames not linked to their identity.
How do my friends find me if I change my username?
Your friends will have to search for your new username manually. Let them know to look you up by your new handle and re-friend you.
Is it free to change my Venmo username?
Yes, changing your Venmo username is always free. There are no fees or limits to how often you can modify it.
What if someone takes my old Venmo username?
Once you change your username, no one else can claim your old name. It becomes ineligible for reuse by other accounts.
Can I have two Venmo accounts?
Yes, you can have up to two Venmo accounts attached to the same bank account. Just make sure you notify contacts about both usernames.